I realized that I haven't blogged at all here: this is because I am a.) REALLY busy, b.) blogging on Blogspot and Tumblr, and c.) REALLY busy.
You'll notice that there is a proliferation of illuminated letters in my posts. This is because early this February I had a brainstorm in which I would produce illuminated letters with Stones from Four Quarters www.4qf.org and use them to create a songbook with these as the title letters/letters of the first words in a line, etc.
The biggest problem is that I don't letter. Ever. That was my Dad. He had the eye, the steady hand, the ability to freehand the most complex of fonts. Pretty early on he and I realized that this wasn't going to be my artistic path. We moved on from that.
For this project I used graph paper and the fonts from several books on illumination. Soon I had drawn one of each letter I needed.
But how would I make these letters so uniform?
I asked myself the same question. Much as I loved this project, I wasn't interested in killing myself just to do this work--which was to be a donation.
Moreover, how was I going to transfer them to appropriate paper? This in and of itself is a bit of a job as well. There had to be a solution.
Then I had a Thought.
I do my prints on Moab, one of the best archival inkjet papers around. I know for a fact that you can paint on prints that have been printed on Moab...and I wondered...if I copied a template onto Moab would I be able to paint on it?
So I slapped one of the soon-to-be templates on the scanner bed of my trusty el cheapo HP Deskjet all in one and hit "black and white copy". Out came a somewhat messy copy of my letter (there were pencil marks and some of the graph showing). Well, I'd be painting over it.
Because of the marks I needed to cover, I pulled out my gouache, which I haven't used in years (since I discovered the ecstasy that is Daniel Smith Watercolors) and tentatively touched a brush to the paper...
And it did not curl, run, or fold, spindle, and mutilate itself in any way.
Thanks to this idea, I was able to belt out at least one letter a day till they were all done. This meant that a potentially months-long project was reduced to about a month and a half (if that).
And life was (and is) GREAT!
Listening to: Snoring Dogs (this is not a punk rock band)